Description

This blog contains book reviews, comments on interesting things and a smattering of self promotion. Enjoy.


Sunday 7 March 2010

Banjo man

Today as I got to work, there was a man sitting on a wall in the car park playing the banjo. I don't know who he was or where he came from, but he was a youngish man, and didn't look homeless, and he certainly wasn't a busker. Our carpark is not a public throughway, and there really is no reason for any one to go through it other than to get to the back entrance of the odeon. People don't even walk past it close enough to have noticed the banjo player. He was, as a friend of mine pointed out, playing only for the music itself.

Personally I think there is something really special in that. As I passed the man, we exchanged a glance and a nod. That was my way of saying 'I like hearing you play the banjo as I get to work on this sunny, start-of-spring day'. It put me in a good mood for my shift, which is also helpful. About fifteen minutes into my shift, the next time someone had to go to the car park, he was gone. I wouldn't be surprised if the managment had moved him along. I'm not even sure I'd blame them for doing so, it's part of their job to keep an eye on things like that after all.

Personally though, I would have been tempted to employ him to play there everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment